It plagues us all. Writer’s block kills more mojo than Kanye West, and unfortunately, you don’t need to be T-Swift to fall victim to its evils.
The best ideas come when you’re not staring at a blank computer screen–driving down the freeway, sipping on orange soda, watching Mad Men, etc. But when there’s just not enough time to take a jaunt in the woods in search of your elusive thinking cap, here’s some alternatives. Special thanks to Ivan at creativebits.org.
- Examine your subject wearing pink glasses.
- Write down 21 objects that the subject reminds you of.
- Look at your subject as if you were a priest/astronaut/vampire/prostitute.
- Take off your shoes.
- Put the subject name under-water.
- Write the subject on a bun.
- Smell a flower or tea leaves.
- Pray like a ninja.
- Make a paper plane.
- Think of a matching car for your subject.
- Relax. Get up, walk around. Scream if you need to.
Undoubtedly you’ll come up with something. If all else fails, start surfing the Web. Just stay off YouTube, and/or anything that involves music awards, rappers, and deely-bopper country singers. Godspeed, brainstormer.